Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Smashbox Minibox Palette Review & Swatches

Hi there!

In a previous makeup haul that I posted on my YouTube beauty channel, I mentioned this new kit from Smashbox called the "Minibox palette". I'm finally getting around to posting my thoughts on this set. The reason I decided to try this kit was because Emily Noel from BeautyBroadcast has raved about the Smashbox Photo Op eyeshadow formula for many years. Emily has stated in several of her videos that she prefers the Photo Op eyeshadow formula over other Smashbox eyeshadows. Yes...apparently the brand has two different formulations for their shadows.

It's been years since I've used anything from Smashbox which by the way is a brand found in Ulta stores and online. At the time when I purchased this set, I paid $39 and more recently it has been discounted online. I think this may be due to the fact that this was a limited edition Spring 2015 product. But regardless of whether or not this is available, you can still purchase the Photo Op eyeshadows in singles or in palettes. The mascara and lip gloss formulas can be purchased individually as well.

So let's jump right in.....

Minibox Palette Set
  • Kit includes 8 Photo Op eyeshadows, 1 Highlighter, 1 Bronzer, Be Legendary Lip Gloss in Pink Lady and a full size Full Expose mascara. 

Front packaging
Back side-contains names and product sizes for each color

Here's a glance at what's inside:


~First half of palette~
L to R:
Suntan, Geranium, Lens
  • 'Lens' is a shimmery peach color which is a pretty but I don't prefer it as a highlight for my fair skin. It'd use this more as an eyeshadow or I would recommend using on top of a blush to add some glow. 
  • 'Geranium' is a beautiful matte coral blush. It's very pigmented and I am happy they chose to make this a matte blush.
  • 'Suntan' is a matte bronzer. It does have a slight orange-y vibe but if used lightly it'll do the job. This tone of bronzer is more suited for the summer season.
*Keep in mind, you wouldn't actually wear either of these with this much intensity. They do look softer when applied lightly with a powder/blush brush. 


~Second half of palette~
8 Photo Op eyeshadows

L to R:
Vanilla, Nude, Ambient, Sienna

L to R:
Cinder, Rose, Peacock, Ultra Marine
  • Cinder: shimmery taupe
  • Rose: shimmery rose
  • Peacock: shimmery golden aqua
  • Ultra Marine: deep shimmery true navy
  • Vanilla: matte ivory
  • Nude: matte light tan
  • Ambient: metallic gold
  • Sienna: metallic bronze

All eyeshadow colors are very creamy, smooth and pigmented. They also blend well together and mixed with other brands. I'm very pleased with the color selection, quality and overall pigmentation.


The Be Legendary Lip Gloss in 'Pink Lady' is a flesh tone nude with a slight pinky golden shimmer. It's a pretty color and I like mixing it with other shades. On it's own, it looks more like a very faint nude....almost clear with a hint shimmer. 

Be Legendary Lip Gloss in Pink Lady

Pink Lady swatch




I didn't take pictures of the mascara but the applicator is a traditional style. It's also very large in comparison to others brands I've used. I'm not the biggest fan of Smashbox mascaras so this isn't one I'd run out to repurchase. 


Overall, I think this set is good for the $128 value it claims to have. Sets like these are a great way to try a new brand or for anyone wanting to experiment with different eyeshadow colors. There's only one drawback for me on this palette...... see below






As you use makeup brushes to apply the products, it kicks up a lot of powder thus causing this mess. I don't like how the powder mess transfers from one side of the palette to the other. Realistically, I wouldn't want to see any dark eyeshadow fall out lingering in my blush and/or highlight. This issue is kinda annoying every time I bust this thing out.


Dupe Alert!!! Listed below are MUG (Makeup Geek) dupes for these Smashbox eyeshadows:


  • Cinder- Prom Night by MUG (exact dupe) or Moondust and/or Homecoming are similar
  • Rose- Twilight by MUG (MUG one has a slight purple undertone but it's close)
  • Peacock- Glass Slipper and/or Mermaid by MUG
  • Ultra Marine- Nautica (both aren't exact dupes but the MUG one gives similar effect)
  • Vanilla-Vanilla Bean by MUG (same color except the MUG one has a sheen to it)
  • Nude- Barcelona Beach by MUG (closest MUG shade) 
  • Ambient- Glamorous by MUG
  • Sienna- Taupe Notch by MUG (not the same finish but the tone is close enough)


Finally, here's a look I created using this palette: 



*The full tutorial can be found here on my YouTube Beauty channel!


I hope this review for helpful to you. Thank you for taking the time to read and for stopping by!

xoxo,
~Lexi 

















No comments:

Post a Comment