Friday, January 10, 2014

My Son's 1st Birthday!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share with you a few pictures from my son's 1st birthday party. My son loves Mickey Mouse, so of course that was the party theme. I know my son probably won't remember this day but I will and the photos I have will last a lifetime. It's so hard for me to accept that my little guy is growing into a toddler. It seems like just yesterday he was born! I want to go back in time to when he was a really small baby...I miss those days.

Now on to some party goodness......

If you would like to see everything up close, click here to watch! I ordered all of the Mickey Mouse decorations from Party City's website. They have really awesome birthday decor packages that include pretty much everything you need. The sizes on the kits depend on the number of guests attending. I ordered the smaller sized kit then added plain color matching plates, utensils, napkins, etc to match the Mickey Print. I think it's cheaper that way. Click here for the Mickey Mouse Birthday supplies.

Final setup


The birthday cake was special ordered from a Bakery in Austin, TX. I went to the bakery about a month and half before his birthday to do a cake tasting and to make sure the cake I designed would be  completed as I wanted. Yes, I am one of those parents that plans way ahead of time for these special moments. I choose to play it safe with flavors on the inside because I wanted everyone to enjoy it. I went with a moist marble cake with pastry cream between the layers and fondant work all over.


On the inside was a marble cake with a pastry cream
filling and fondant work all over.

Here are the homemade Mickey Mouse shaped cookies we made and decorated the day before the party. In the video linked above, I show you how to make homemade royal icing and how to decorate cookies. You should check it out :) 

These were a "thank you" favor for all of our guests.
It's a basic sugar cookie dough decorated with royal icing.
(links below)
 Click here for Martha Stewart's sugar cookie recipe. This recipe for some reason didn't have a baking temperature or baking times. So I had to play around with time but it took 10 minutes at 350 degrees to get a perfectly baked cookie.

Click here for Alton Brown's Royal Icing recipe. This recipe done as stated, was a bit too thick for my liking so I added 2 Tablespoons of room temp water to thin it out. After adding a bit of water, the icing was great to work with. This recipe will make a white icing, you must add food coloring to get colored icing.


My husband and I made this Mickey Mouse Ears centerpiece with dum dum lollipops. This process was tedious so explaining it would make it sound more complicated than it actually is. I do recommend watching my video on it (click here) It's a super cool way to add a bit of DIY to your party. It will definitely get people talking about it.

Centerpiece
It took a 300 count dum dum lollipop bag plus one regular
size bag.

Picture from the big day!!! He loved diggin' into his cake :) 




Thank you for stopping by! Please subscribe while visiting my YouTube channel...it's Free!
*Stay connected with me via Twitter @GlamourbyLexi (https://twitter.com/glamourbylexi)

xoxoxo
~Lexi 

No comments:

Post a Comment